Student contents insurance

Find contents insurance if you're a student living in halls or a shared house and want to protect your valuables.

or click here to find student contents insurance

Powered By

Get quotes from these home insurance providers and more.


How to get the right student contents insurance

To get the best contents policy as a student, think about:

  • What items you want to protect, and how much they are worth

  • What extra cover would be useful, like mobile phone insurance

  • What is excluded from the policy

Check to see if your family's home insurance can cover you while you are at university, but be aware that it may not offer the best cover.

If it does not, this comparison shows every UK insurance company that offers student contents insurance.

Here is more information about student home insurance

What do you need to protect?

Most student contents policies offer the same cover as standard contents insurance, and extra cover if you study away from home:

  • Gadget cover: You may need this to protect valuable items like your laptop, mobile phone or tablet.

  • Musical instrument cover: If you play an instrument you can add this cover to protect it against damage and theft.

  • Room key cover: This covers any costs if you lose your room or house keys, and can pay for a locksmith.

  • Tuition fee cover: This covers the cost of your rent and tuition if you are unable to continue with your course following illness or an accident.

Check each policy carefully to see if any of these benefits are included as standard, or if you can add them for an extra cost.

You need enough contents cover to replace all your belongings if they are stolen or destroyed. Add up the total value to see how much contents cover you need.

Find out how to work out the value of your contents here

What is not covered

When comparing student policies, check the terms and conditions carefully to see what is excluded from your cover.

Common exclusions include:

  • Theft with no sign of forced entry, e.g. if someone living with you steals your tablet

  • Break ins if you do not have an approved lock on your door

  • Cover during term holidays, e.g. summer or Christmas

  • Any item over a certain value, e.g. a laptop worth over £1,000

Once you know how much cover you need and what exclusions to watch out for. Compare as many policies as possible to find the best cover at the cheapest price.

Optional extras

Some insurers let you add extras to improve your level of cover. Common add-ons include:

Any extras you add to your policy will increase the cost of your premiums, but this could be outweighed if you need to make a claim.

Student contents insurance FAQs

Last updated: 14 October, 2021

Get home insurance quotes

Compare quotes to protect your home with the right cover.

Explore Home insurance guides

See more guides

man outside working on laptop

How to manage your home insurance policy

Once you have insured your home, you need to keep your cover up to date to make sure it stays valid. Here is how you can manage your home insurance policy.

Read More
2 Scottish houses by a road. One house has a white door and the other has a red door.

What home insurance do you need?

Whether you live in a flat or a mansion, getting the right home insurance policy is essential. Here is how to find the best cover for your property.

Read More
Empty road through a village, with small houses on either side of the road.

How to insure your second home

If you own a second home in the UK, you may need specific home insurance to protect it. Here is how to cover your second home.

Read More

Why compare home insurance with

By comparing home insurance, you could save money on the policy. The best value Home insurance will offer the cover to your home and content. Choose a cover plan from the best UK home insurance companies and see the online discounts they offer.

Proud to be award winning

We have always aimed to provide the best possible services to bridge the gap between our users and our clients. Over the years, we have been thrilled to be recognised by various prestigious bodies and organisations for those efforts.

Home Insurance comparison is provided by which is a trading name of Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, registered in England and Wales 03857130. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites. By using this system you are also agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you decide to buy through us.